Saturday, March 7, 2009

Important things to do.

There are a few things that I really want to do at some point in my lifetime. One is have a song written about me. I've actually been working on this lately and thinking about it more often. Another thing I'd like to do is own an antique sock knitting machine. I grew up in a house at the bottom of the hill in Warsaw. My grandparents lived nextdoor in the house at the top of the hill. The hilltop house had been owned by two generations of family. My great-grandfather lived up there and raised his kids. From stories, I've learned that he had a sock-knitting machine and would make all of the hockey socks for the teams in Warsaw. Really, in Warsaw there's one thing to do in your spare time and that's play hockey. Noone can remember what happened to his knitting machine. I've searched through the driveshed a bit and I know my papa keeps his eye out for me, but I have a feeling that it's long gone.



I came across this video on the Craft: website. They always have really interesting clips and posts. This woman is demonstrating how her sock knitting machine works to a bunch of Texans at the Maker Faire in Austin, Texas in December 2008.


Antique Sock Knitting Machines - CRAFT Video Podcast from make magazine on Vimeo.

I think perhaps, attending Maker Faire at some point, should be on my lifetime list as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment