Friday, April 8, 2011

A lot of treasures.

Today, during spring cleaning, I found a small box in my apartment that I must have missed unpacking. This was a great find because inside were a bunch of little things I'd had while traveling in Australia and New Zealand, including my 4 GB SD card that I've been looking for all year.

Other than that, the rest of the items were mainly souvenirs and trinkets. This is inspiring me to finish putting the rest of the pictures from both my southern hemisphere trip and my Yukon trip up.

When I was in Auckland, I found the coolest Japanese import store. I could only buy a few little things including these pencil toppers with teensy little impractical fruit-shaped erasers in the end. I usually keep the berry one on the end of my pencil.


Various soy sauce and mayo containers.


The monkey mayo container opens and has a tiny little banana spoon inside.


A pretty pottery spoon from a store in the art deco town, Napier, on the North Island of New Zealand.

A 20 cent coin from New Zealand. All of their money is this pretty.


A pen for writing on porcelain or metal. I think I actually bought this in Ottawa. I haven't tried it yet, but I really want to this weekend. I think I'll go to the thrift store tomorrow and find a mug to decorate.


A tea towel from NZ with all of the breeds of sheep on it. I brought back some tea towels for my friend and this one for me.


And, my favourite Australian Swallow Casein knitting needles (made from milk protein!) that unfortunately popped on the plane once we got to a certain altitude and crumbled into a lot of pieces. If you look closely, all the breaks happened at the little air bubbles. I guess those are weak spots and maybe the air pressure change was too strong for them. These needles are great though, kind of bendy and warm. I bought them at a wool store the first week I was in Perth that took me about two hours to get to, and used them to knit navy blue merino gloves for my mom's birthday. And then continued to knit with them throughout my entire trip.


Annnd, some NZ fridge poetry. Which is now punched out and on my fridge in a random pattern. Mainly I really like the sheep magnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment