Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A local delicacy.

Awhile ago I noticed an interesting new food product in my local grocery store. It's a twisted cheese preserved in brine. Now, generally when I find something like this, I don't hold back. I just pick it up and put it in my basket and take it home to give it a try. This time, though, I've been fairly intimidated by the size and appearance of this product, so even though I've noticed it on every single shopping trip (it is displayed quite predominately in the deli section) I hadn't actually purchased it.

This weekend, this cheese was just on my mind. I told my friend all about it. I devised a plan that included stopping by the grocery store with my rental car to pick it up. That didn't end up happening. I got some anyway, and lugged it home.


I tried to eat some. This cheese is perhaps the saltiest thing I have ever tasted. I woke up this morning feeling dehydrated and my tongue felt a little bit burnt. I just don't understand how people eat this, or what they eat it with. I'm going to do some more research and ask around about it. I think I might try to save mine by rinsing out the salt brine and making a new pickling liquid with spices and vinegar and much less salt.



Pickled cheese definitely has some potential. Especially when it is hand knotted like this little twist.



To me, the most interesting fact about this cheese is that it is manufactured locally. This region is not known for its local products. And I really want to like this. I just can't eat it as it is. Even though this hasn't been the greatest culinary experience of my life, I'm still on the look-out for the pickled sausages.

2 comments:

  1. It really is quite beautiful on the fork. I wonder why it comes in such a large quantity. That's like restaurant sized. I guess if you like it, you like it a lot. You should marinate it a la marinated feta, maybe with some oil and herbs? I am intrigued to hear what you find out about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am also intrigued to hear what you find out about it...

    ReplyDelete