Monday, February 9, 2009

Here I go again.

I'm doing what I've done all too many times: abandoning a blog on the internet. I've been thinking about this place for awhile. I come up with interesting ideas for posts, plan them out, and then I don't post them.

This is ridiculous. When the mood strikes, I need to come here and type.

So, to get back on track, here's an easy-peasy post, with knitting and evolution.

Generally, I avoid conversations about evolution and associated topics unless there is some sort of scientific evidence or interesting historical information involved. However, from an historical perspective, this is a particularly exciting year to talk evolution. In a few short days, scientists around the world will be celebrating the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin. On this particular 12 February, I will be heading to Ottawa for a bit of a roadtrip with my dear friend Emily. I'm sure that we will take a few moments to appreciate the work of naturalists that came before us. Perhaps Emily will bake another endangered hummingbird cake in honour of Darwin's own extravagant tastes.

Later this year, we will mark the 150th anniversary of the publication of Darwin's most wellknown work. On the Origin of Species was released on 24 November 1859. This theory and collection of data has been one of the most formative works in shaping the way we understand evolution today. Most importantly to me, Darwin set an example for how to conduct good science in a time when the opinions of rich white religious men were really all that mattered.

This important year has started a lot of chatter around the web among many different groups of people. One of my favourite groups, Scientific Knitters, over on Ravelry have mentioned a bit of a knit-a-long (KAL) in honour of Darwin and his work. I really like this little guy: Evolving Punk by Anna Hrachovec.



So you might see my version in the near future....roadtrip knitting, perhaps?

Talk to you later, Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment