Sunday, January 18, 2009

Knit Science.

Two of my favourite things all rolled up into one great big geeky yarn ball.

This anatomically correct knit brain is one of the most complicated knitting projects I have ever seen. People can be so creative.



I'm working on my own geeked-out project right now too. I'd been meaning to make some new legwarmers for awhile. With a christmas present gift card to my current local yarn store (LYS) I found 3 skeins of Wellington Fibres in pearl blue and forest green. The wool is absolutely beautiful; grown, spun, and dyed in Elora, just north of here. I've incorporated a stripe pattern into the legs that is based on the Fibonacci numbers. The first number is 0, the second number is 1, and the subsequent numbers equal to the sum of the two preceding numbers. This sequence is aesthetically pleasing and is found widely in nature....the spirals in a shell, the seeds in a sunflower, the branching in trees are all patterned following these numbers.


To say the least, they are turning out very well and I"ll be casting on the second at knit group tomorrow night.

Sweet dreams, Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment